E-Scribe : a programmer’s blog

About Me

PBX I'm Paul Bissex. I build web applications using open source software, especially Django. Started my career doing graphic design for newspapers and magazines in the '90s. Then wrote tech commentary and reviews for Wired, Salon, Chicago Tribune, and others you never heard of. Then I built operations software at a photography school. Then I helped big media serve 40 million pages a day. Then I worked on a translation services API doing millions of dollars of business. Now I'm building the core platform of a global startup accelerator. Feel free to email me.

Book

I co-wrote "Python Web Development with Django". It was the first book to cover the long-awaited Django 1.0. Published by Addison-Wesley and still in print!

Colophon

Built using Django, served with gunicorn and nginx. The database is SQLite. Hosted on a FreeBSD VPS at Johncompanies.com. Comment-spam protection by Akismet.

Elsewhere

Pile o'Tags

Stuff I Use

Bitbucket, Debian Linux, Django, Emacs, FreeBSD, Git, jQuery, LaunchBar, macOS, Markdown, Mercurial, Python, S3, SQLite, Sublime Text, xmonad

Spam Report

At least 236559 pieces of comment spam killed since 2008, mostly via Akismet.

Python question: a better urlparse?

Is there a more sophisticated equivalent of urlparse.urlparse() somewhere that knows enough to break out username and password components? Ideally it would return a dict, with keys like 'scheme' and 'host' and 'user', instead of a tuple. Something like PHP's parse_url().

Monday, December 12th, 2005
+
2 comments

Comment from Paul Jimenez , later that day

I wrote http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-November/058301.html about urlparse being broken not too long ago, though I have yet to present my replacement. What kind of API do you think a better urlparse() should have? Keep in mind a good solution should deal with not only http://user:password@host:port/path?query#fragment, but also tel:1-234-567-8910 and news:newsgroup and news:msgid@newsgroup. I suspect the problem with a dict instead of a tuple is standardization of keys. Or maybe that's fine. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Comment from Paul , later that day

Now that I've seen that thread, the solution seems pretty well hashed out. That little netlocparse() snippet does a lot of what I was looking for. Seems like Guido's just waiting for somebody to submit a patch. Since the function is called "urlparse" and not "uriparse" I wouldn't let utter completeness stand in the way of a decent fix.

Comments are closed for this post. But I welcome questions/comments via email or Twitter.