E-Scribe : a programmer’s blog

About Me

PBX I'm Paul Bissex. I build web applications using open source software, especially Django. Started my career doing graphic design for newspapers and magazines in the '90s. Then wrote tech commentary and reviews for Wired, Salon, Chicago Tribune, and others you never heard of. Then I built operations software at a photography school. Then I helped big media serve 40 million pages a day. Then I worked on a translation services API doing millions of dollars of business. Now I'm building the core platform of a global startup accelerator. Feel free to email me.

Book

I co-wrote "Python Web Development with Django". It was the first book to cover the long-awaited Django 1.0. Published by Addison-Wesley and still in print!

Colophon

Built using Django, served with gunicorn and nginx. The database is SQLite. Hosted on a FreeBSD VPS at Johncompanies.com. Comment-spam protection by Akismet.

Elsewhere

Pile o'Tags

Stuff I Use

Bitbucket, Debian Linux, Django, Emacs, FreeBSD, Git, jQuery, LaunchBar, macOS, Markdown, Mercurial, Python, S3, SQLite, Sublime Text, xmonad

Spam Report

At least 236610 pieces of comment spam killed since 2008, mostly via Akismet.

Trying to send eBay a message?

I've been getting unrequested messages from the eBay Developer Zone site over the last couple days about email address changes. I have a Developer Zone account, but I haven't touched it for months if not longer. I sent an e-mail to them about it, but haven't heard anything.

I just got yet another one of these and I think I see what's up. Check out the registered email address. Somebody found a hole.

(And in case you're wondering, no, this isn't some kind of phishing message. It's a text/plain message and the routing headers show it being received by my mail server directly from mxpool05.ebay.com.)

From: DevZonePassword@ebay.com
Subject: Forgot your Developer Zone username?
Date: May 26, 2006 10:45:12 AM EDT (CA)
To: hey.ebay@sql.inject.com'.or.''='
Cc: [OMITTED]

If you did not forget your username for the eBay Developers Program,
please ignore this email.

Your Username is: [OMITTED]
Your registered email address is:hey.ebay@sql.inject.com' or ''='

You can sign in to the Developer Zone at
http://developer.ebay.com/devprogram/sign_in.asp

If you have forgotten you password, you can request it at
http://developer.ebay.com/devprogram/ForgotPassword.asp

Thank you for being a member of the eBay Developers Program!
Sincerely,
Developer Relations

Friday, May 26th, 2006
+ +
5 comments

Comment from Paul , 9 months later

For some reason this post gets more spam comments -- by far -- than anything else on my blog. The spam comments almost never have anything to do with the content of the post; lately they're for prescription drugs.

I've become curious about the reasons for this. Any theories?

Comment from Paul , 21 months later

I've deleted some irrelevant comments along the lines of "please help me with my eBay problem".

Sorry, but this is not an eBay help forum! I'm just a guy with a blog. If you are having an eBay problem that you can't resolve directly, try their dispute resolution service.

Comment from matt , 2 years later

Yeah I have no idea why personal blogs are spammed.

But google did point me here while searching for how to send a user a message...

:)

Comment from Jasmine , 5 years later

i am trying to figure out how to contact ebay itself via email because 4 of the items i bid on were sent to the wrong city an no one is replying to me on how to get them back. by mistake i sent it to miami florida 33315 and it was suppose to be fort lauderdale florida 33315. what do i do??!!

Comment from B.J. Justice , 6 years later

ebay motors; arem't "NO RESERVE" auctions on ebay motors supposed to go to the highest bidder? 2004 Volvo-S-80-one owner- CAR-LEATHER-MOON-BLACK Sarasota,Fl highest bidder $5,300 last week is back own ebay, same seller for $6,950.00. Is this true. Not delivered to the highest bidder? Can the owner or friends bid against the market?

Comments are closed for this post. But I welcome questions/comments via email or Twitter.