E-Scribe : a programmer’s blog

About Me

PBX I'm Paul Bissex. I build web applications using open source software, especially Django. Started my career doing graphic design for newspapers and magazines in the '90s. Then wrote tech commentary and reviews for Wired, Salon, Chicago Tribune, and others you never heard of. Then I built operations software at a photography school. Then I helped big media serve 40 million pages a day. Then I worked on a translation services API doing millions of dollars of business. Now I'm building the core platform of a global startup accelerator. Feel free to email me.

Book

I co-wrote "Python Web Development with Django". It was the first book to cover the long-awaited Django 1.0. Published by Addison-Wesley and still in print!

Colophon

Built using Django, served with gunicorn and nginx. The database is SQLite. Hosted on a FreeBSD VPS at Johncompanies.com. Comment-spam protection by Akismet.

Pile o'Tags

Stuff I Use

bitbucket, Django, Emacs, FreeBSD, Git, jQuery, LaunchBar, Markdown, Mercurial, OS X, Python, Review Board, S3, SQLite, Sublime Text, Ubuntu Linux

Spam Report

At least 236507 pieces of comment spam killed since 2008, mostly via Akismet.

More unexpanded spam macros

I posted one simple example of this a while back, but this one's much better. (I've removed some uninteresting stuff like the actual routing.)

From ...
Date: ...
From: "%FROM_NAME" <@FROM_EMAIL>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

%TO_CC_DEFAULT_HANDLER
Subject: %SUBJECT
Sender: "%FROM_NAME" <%FROM_EMAIL>
Date: %CURRENT_DATE_TIME

%MESSAGE_BODY

That Received: line looks like a nice template for a SpamAssassin rule, if you use SpamAssassin.

Saturday, February 3rd, 2007
+

Comments are closed for this post. But I welcome questions/comments via email or Twitter.