E-Scribe : a programmer’s blog

About Me

PBX I'm Paul Bissex. I build web applications using open source software, especially Django. Started my career doing graphic design for newspapers and magazines in the '90s. Then wrote tech commentary and reviews for Wired, Salon, Chicago Tribune, and others you never heard of. Then I built operations software at a photography school. Then I helped big media serve 40 million pages a day. Then I worked on a translation services API doing millions of dollars of business. Now I'm building the core platform of a global startup accelerator. Feel free to email me.

Book

I co-wrote "Python Web Development with Django". It was the first book to cover the long-awaited Django 1.0. Published by Addison-Wesley and still in print!

Colophon

Built using Django, served with gunicorn and nginx. The database is SQLite. Hosted on a FreeBSD VPS at Johncompanies.com. Comment-spam protection by Akismet.

Elsewhere

Pile o'Tags

Stuff I Use

Bitbucket, Debian Linux, Django, Emacs, FreeBSD, Git, jQuery, LaunchBar, macOS, Markdown, Mercurial, Python, S3, SQLite, Sublime Text, xmonad

Spam Report

At least 236559 pieces of comment spam killed since 2008, mostly via Akismet.

Signal to Noise

Whenever I get one of these communiques through eBay I'm always astonished at the amount of extra verbiage. This one takes the cake, though. Only about 1% of the message body is the actual message -- the words "it's taken care of." Presented below in full, slightly reformatted and munged.

From:     member@ebay.com
Subject:    Re: Question for item #__ - __ __ __
Date:   September 17, 2005 4:03:09 PM EDT (CA)
To:       __@e-scribe.com

eBay sent this message to __ __ (__).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated
from eBay.
Learn more:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/name-userid-emails.html
eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My
Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member
directly and will include your email address. Use the Respond
link below to send your response via My Messages (your email
address will not be included).

Important Marketplace Safety Tip:
http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter
---------------------------------------
Always remember to complete your transaction on eBay -- it's the
safer way to buy.

Please do not offer to buy or sell this item through this form
without completing the transaction on eBay. If you receive a
response inviting you to transact outside of eBay, you should
decline -- such transactions may be unsafe and are against eBay
policy.

Response to Question about Item -- Respond Now

Response from __
Item: __ __  (__)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
__ is the seller.
---------------------------------------
it's taken care of

Respond to this question in My Messages:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?M2MContact&item=__&
requested=__&qid=1251585165&redirect=0

Item Details
---------------------------------------
Item name:                             __ __
Item number:                           __
End date:                              Sep-19-05 15:34:28 PDT

View the item description here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=__&sspagename
=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

---------------------------------------
Is this email inappropriate? Does it violate eBay policy? Help
protect the community by reporting it.
-- eBay policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-unwelcome-email-misuse.
html
-- Report URL:
http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ReportEmailAbuseshow&
emaildate=2005/09/17:13:03:09&emailtype=3&trackId=__

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:
http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial

This eBay notice was sent to __@e-scribe.com on behalf of
another eBay member through the eBay platform and in accordance
with our Privacy Policy. If you would like to receive this email
as HTML, change your notification preferences at:
http://cgi4.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?OptinLoginShow

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions
about eBay's communication policies.
Privacy Policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html
User Agreement:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

Copyright (c) 2005 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their
respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks
of eBay, Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA
95125.

Saturday, September 17th, 2005

Comments are closed for this post. But I welcome questions/comments via email or Twitter.